Sunday, December 11, 2011

Triple-Ginger Cookies


Star anise is a nice change from the cloves, ginger, and cinnamon of the season.  Plus, it's so pretty.

The blog 101 Cookbooks is beautiful and I love to see what’s going on there, but it’s like stepping into a very private world.  The author strives for a level of purity, both with ingredients and in technique, that makes regular recipes seem a little silly and undisciplined.  It’s esoteric which precisely means it is intended for a small audience (though her readership is huge).  It might not be for everyone, but it is a nice Zen place to go to now and then.  Like at the finale of a cookie bake-a-thon.  These cookies require  some chopping, grinding, and grating, but they are nice ingredients to hang out with and the final cookie is a delight.  You will find the recipe on her blog.
And now, I have to run to the airport.  Seriously.  Through sheer force of bakery, I willed my sons home.  Let the fun begin!

5 comments:

  1. After Allan called we hollered a "THEY'RE HERE", we're so happy for you to have your boys home! Your heart must be pounding outside of your chest! I made these too, we must have been channeling the same cookie vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did we seriously choose the same cookie recipe from the entire world of recipes? The boys think we need a throw down. Bring 'em. (They actually think you will win.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Ginger cookie throw down it is. Mine weren't from 101, I used the recipe from Epicurious. They have a nice ginger burn, I wish I had upped the ginger amounts of all three forms though. I'll bring some to school tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you find star ainse here in Tunisia?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, no. I cleaned out my bulk spice pantry when I was home in October. It may be available, though. I'll look for it.

    ReplyDelete