Friday, December 30, 2011

Paris for a Day





If l had my way
I'd just … wander
Down the Champs Elysées
(Joni Mitchell, Free Man in Paris)

I sang this about 100 times today.  We had so much fun.  After the hundreds of kilometers we’ve logged across the heartland of Europe over the past two weeks, we felt like we made some kind of triumphal reentry into Paris yesterday, where we began.  We know each other a lot better now and have a bunch of great, shared memories. 
Today was a celebration of our time together, and of Paris, and winter.  We started at our groovy B & B about 20 km outside of Paris.  I haven't stayed in a B & B since the early 90s.  This really took me back and made we wonder why I stopped seeking them out.


The morning was spent gaining a little perspective at the Versailles grounds.  I love formal gardens in winter when you can see all of their structure and design.  

The afternoon was dedicated to the Eifel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe, finished with the wished for wander down the Champs Elysees.  It was a little cold and a little drizzly, but never so much that it dampened the day.

We finished the day with a supper of bread, cheeses, salami, and pate in Le Sucrerie’s living room, before retiring to big fluffy beds upstairs.

  Boys go home early tomorrow morning and I can say we’ve lived every minute to the fullest.  Great young men.  Fantastic company.

1 comment:

  1. Give the boys our love, counting the days until we get to see them again! Happy New Year friend, see you soon.

    ReplyDelete