Thursday, October 27, 2011

Homecoming Muffins


I’m home in Tunis and happy to be here.  I’m happy to be anywhere really that’s not an airplane, but really happy that it’s here.  I’m so, so blessed to have two homes that I love. 
Settling back in, I begin with an inventory of the kitchen.  Our fridge broke the day before I left for the US and poor Allan had his hands full with transferring everything into a much less capacious model.  He got everything generally in the right place, but efficiency wise, it is not a workable chilled pantry yet.
          It seemed like a good idea to me that rather than spend a bunch of time organizing the food we should just use up a lot of the food and then reorganize as we restock.  I wanted to make some ultra healthy muffins anyway, like a meal in a paper cup, so here was was my opportunity. I like this recipe because it allows me to use up 2 cups of shredded vegetables (4 because I doubled it) and also some muesli we needed to finish.   
Makes about 12 muffins

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2  teaspoons crystallized ginger, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup muesli
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup oil (safflower, canola, or olive)
2 cups (firmly packed) grated vegetables (zucchini, carrots, or beets)--use largest holes on box grater
1/2 cup raisins (optional)  
Procedure  
Preheat the oven to 350°. 
In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, spices, and muesli. Whisk well to blend. 
In a mixing bowl beat the eggs, sugar and oil for 2 to 3 minutes or until very smooth. Add the grated vegetables and beat just until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and optional raisins and beat until completely moistened.
Scrape the batter into greased and floured (or paper cup-lined) muffin tins, filling each cup 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes, until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Unmold onto the rack. Cool completely and wrap airtight.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment